Resilience, motivation and persistence are key components that can contribute to success in businesses at large.
Who is Neil Robertson?
Introducing Neil Robertson, an Australian professional snooker player.
Originally born and raised in Melbourne, Australia, Neil moved to England – the traditional mecca of snooker – to commit to his desire of becoming a professional snooker player.
At one point, things weren’t going so well for him in snooker, and he came home to Australia. While he was here, he considered his options for a short period. In the end, he decided to return to the United Kingdom to continue with his snooker and has achieved high success. Notably, his success includes world number one rankings and statistics for the history book.
Robertson’s strengths are considered his break building and long pots. In general, he is usually a real contender in tournaments. His ranking is number 4 in the world today. Like most professional snooker players, he continues to finetune his craft for better results and to get closer to perfection.
I was fortunate to meet Neil at a tournament held in Victoria, Australia, several years ago. And, yes, that’s me, Jenny, in the photo.
At the live tournament, I managed to watch over 8 hours of snooker in a day! As a result, I was even more hooked on the game. Of course, I watched hours and hours of live snooker play over the tournament!
How do Neil Robertson and snooker relate to resilience, motivation and persistence in business?
There are many points I see to take out of this sportsman’s journey for resilience, motivation and persistence to likewise apply in business:
- When you are up against a challenge or tough period, take a breath and ask yourself questions to help consider options. Your resilience will help here. Then take action to move forward.
- Keep looking towards the longer term. Similarly, snooker can be a ‘game of safety’, resulting in a longer, more tactical frame.
- Like in sport, there will be ups and downs.
- And keep focusing on achieving big wins (for that trophy feeling)!
- You might be working towards winning a particular client or getting into a new industry. Do you keep your eye on the long pot and decide to persevere for that breakthrough?
- Continue to make improvements, even incremental, as appropriate. From you as the business owner, internally on your business, to externally, such as customer relationships.
- Just like in a frame of snooker and looking at options to play on the table, try to consider your position or business decision from an aerial view, identify your possible options and commit to your chosen direction.
- And more….
In brief, I find drawing on some of Neil’s experiences helps me during both the highs and lower times.
Neil’s snooker statistics – and how can they help you achieve?
Neil Robertson has reached some amazing achievements in snooker. Tournaments for the game have been going for about 100 years.
We’re going to look at some of Neil’s current stats here, which might also help be another source of motivation in your world in some way. Or take a moment to also reflect on your number one sportsperson’s achievements for inspiration.
Some of Neil Robertson’s career highlights to point out include:
- Winner of World Championship in 2010 – the ‘main’ championship of snooker
- World number one later in 2010
- World number one again in 2013 and 2014
- First player ever to make 100 centuries in a single season in 2013-14
- Neil is in a group of only 11 players who have won the Triple Crown. That covers the World Championship, UK Championship and Masters tournaments
- His 2021 Tour Championship win gave him 20 ranking event titles
- Neil stands as the most successful professional snooker player from outside the United Kingdom in the snooker world.
So, if you’re into sports stats or would like to learn more about snooker on the world stage or you’d just like another distraction, visit CueTracker.
Stay safe, everyone.